Visitors


View My Stats

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Not Sprinting but Lifting Kimchi

Now that my right leg radiates excruciating pain whenever I run, I've been out of the running game for a week.  Too bad, I haven't been living up to my blogs name, though I have been eating tons of kimchi.  To replace my running I've substituted weight training and lots of stationary biking into my routine.  Instead of sprinting for kimchi I've been lifting Kimchi.  Seriously, instead of lifting iron, which everybody works out with in the world, here in Korea they lift heavy bags of kimchi at the gym.  Actually, no they don't but that would be funny if there was such a gym in Korea that did replace iron weights with bags of Kimchi.  Ugh, just imagine the smell, gross.  I enjoy the smell of Kimchi but bags and bags of Kimchi in a hot sweaty gym?  Putrid.

While I'm on this Kimchi tangent, I'll tell you all how I get my Kimchi these days.  When I first arrived to Samcheok I would go to the super market and spend 7,000won on a 1kg bag of Kimchi.  It tastes pretty good but it's not cut and 7,000won is kinda expensive.  Well, one day my friend suggested to get it at the open market from one of the 할머니's (Grandmas) because the Kimchi is cheap and outta this world.  Now I've been wanting to befriend a Grandma here so she can cook me Korean food but my efforts have come short.  Now, I go to this one little old lady in the back of the market and get my Kimchi wares from her.  Let me tell you for 5,000won I get almost 1.5kg of the best Kimchi I've tasted.  I've been sold, this ladies my new Korean Grandma.

Anyway back to the exercising, I've forgot the rush that lifting gives me.  It's quite different from the rush that one achieves while running.  I could spend days comparing the two with a fine tooth comb but I'll spare everyone the pain.  To summarize lifting usually makes me feel warm and fuzzy like a warm blanket was rapped around me while running makes me feel as if all of the demons and negative thoughts have temporarily exited my body.  Both sure make me positive and chuggin' on all of my other endeavors.  Exercise fuels my body much like food does, or at least that's how I perceive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment