Visitors


View My Stats

Thursday, August 26, 2010

TaLK orientation is done

Orientation is all over and I have finally moved into my apartment.


A tad messy but the room is huge compared to the other apartments the 3 other TaLK scholars have in the apartment complex.  The location is very convenient being located in downtown Samchok with the close proximity to a Home Plus (think Super duper Walmart on steroids), an out door market, tons of small shops, restaurants, bars, etc,.  When Koreans say rural they mean something smaller than a couple million.  Samchok is actually quite large for me considering the town I grew up in, which is really rural.  I'm very happy with my placement.

The past couple of days I've checked out Miro elementary school and it is a cute school.  The school is a little smaller than I imagined but it is huge for 70 some odd kids.  There are maybe 7-8 classrooms and you should see the English classroom that I have.  I have a smart board and huge flat screen TV and in the back there is some thing called virtual reality.
My classroom


To clarify my co-teacher and mentor teacher are two different people.  My co-teacher is a university student at Gangwon-do University Samchok Campus (which is less than a mile from my apartment) and she will be the person helping me teach classes 3 out of 4 days.  My mentor teacher, on the other hand, is just suppose to help me get adjusted to life in Korea and help out with some administration duties.  So far both are extremely nice and I'm positive I'll get along with both of them very well.

I'm going to get my alien registration card in Donghae (the larger city a few miles north) and hopefully heading to Seoul for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment