Visitors


View My Stats

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Korean Library & Gym

My adventures in Korea have taken me to cities, temples, historical sites and the usual adventure destinations, but I've recently stumbled on a new adventure in a mundane activity, studying.  How can studying be adventurous?  

I usually sling my bag over my shoulder, filled with books and my computer and walk 15 minutes away.  The university library isn't far by a long shot but the walk there is a trek.  The university sits on a quaint mini mountain that is steep.  I reckon it's a 65 degree incline or maybe more.  Once I've sweat bullets just getting up the hill I walk a little ways into the campus and find the library.  It get's more interesting.

The study room on the first floor once walked into is full of tables, chairs and the little cubbies to study in.  Ok nothing different about that but here the library is packed.  Every time I've been to the library, morning, noon or night, it is packed to the brim.  There is a constant stream of uni students, elementary, middle and high schoolers, very old men, moms and kids.  It's especially interesting to see the young kids in the library at 11pm on a week night still studying when I'm leaving.

It becomes a challenge to find a seat because either it is taken or someone left their belongings sitting there.  Wait... don't people steal belongings if left?  I've been to many libraries in Boston and they always warn you not to leave your belongings sitting out, especially your computer, or it will get stolen.  A few glances around the room and there are a few unattended computers.  No one steals.  How nice!  I don't have to pack up my belongings or bother the person next to me every time I have to pee.  I get up and everything is left the way it was.  Then again it would be real noticeable if someone did steal because there are so many people in the room and Korean culture is too community based for anything like that to happen.

Also, I recently got a gym membership at the gym 50 steps away from my apartment.  My friend and I thought that the going rate around town was around $150 for 3 months but the gym we found yesterday was $100 for 3 months, closer, and just as nice.  Today, I decided to go after I returned from my cancelled classes and had another adventure in a normally mundane activity.  Walking my way back to the locker room I encountered a grandpa who started to talk to me in....ENGLISH.  What in Samchok?  My kids can't even speak as well as this guy did but I quickly found out that his daughter lives in Philly and he's been to the states a few times.  He spoke English and I spoke Korean.  He was surprised that I spoke so well because he said he hadn't seen too many white people speak Korean in Samcheok.  It was a nice little conversation and I think I've made a new friend at the gym on my first day.  The gym was dead otherwise because it was only 2pm which is great.  I'll be heading after school from now on to supplement my marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment