Visitors


View My Stats

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Goals for Korea

Since coming home I have been blessed with an abundant amount of free time and in that free time I've had a lot of time to ponder some goals to accomplish while I'm in Korea.  I don't want to be that foreigner that goes to Korea and spends all of his time in his cracker jack box apartment and wastes time when he isn't teaching.  I have done plenty of that here in the States and need to challenge myself into growing as a person through various activities, events, etc,.  However, I do not want to go wild and recklessly spend and have a "good" time.   For me, a good set of goals that challenge me will equal an experience that I will remember for the rest of my life.

I've added a measure of difficulty in accomplishing each goal with 4 austrian arms
1 arm= Only a girly man could do it
2 arms= Only the governator could do it
3 arms= Only Mr. Universe could do it
4 arms= Only the terminator could do it


Goal #1- Qualify for the Boston Marathon by running the Chosun Ilbo Chuncheon Marathon on Oct 24 with a sub 3 hour and 10 minute time.

Living in Boston for 5 years I have been fortunate enough to watch the Boston Marathon each year in person or on TV and it is one of the most prestigious marathons in the world.  Witnessing the marathon in person is a great experience and I've always wanted to run it, but haven't been able to qualify with a sub 3:10 run.  My PR is a 3:20 in 2008 so I'd have to lop 10 minutes off my PR to qualify.  I admit I could have trained much harder and will do so with this marathon.  What better timing, I will have tons of time to train, lovely area to train in, get to run a marathon in a different country, and get to run in a marathon that will be very close to where I will be living!  Plus I'll be leaving Korea in February and be in time for the Boston race.

It'll be difficult but doable as long as I don't get hurt in the process.  I'll give it a Mr. Universe.





Goal #2- Finish Financial Planning Courses
For the past six months I've been taking online financial planning courses to change my career from Music Therapy to Financial Planner.  There's something about having control over my finances that I absolutely love and to help others do that for a living would be awesome.  I'm nearly finished with 3 out of 6 of the courses and will have to finish them in Korea.

This shall be easy to accomplish but I have to do it.  Definitely deserves a girly man.





Goal #3- Speak Korean semi-fluently by the end of 6 months
I'll be living in the country side so this goal shall be doable with a lot of effort. When I say semi-fluent I mean be able to hold conversations that are two way without too much effort on either side to understand.

I'd say with some hard work and confidence I'll be able to accomplish this.  I'll be in the best environment to practice.  I'll give it a governator in difficulty.





Goal #4- Improve guitar playing/singing and compose one song per month
Again my free time will be plentiful so I have no excuse to practice each day and compose songs.  

I'll give it 2 austrian arms just because it takes extra effort for me to sit down, compose and practice on my singing.





Goal #5- Explore!!!!!
I need to take the time to explore as many places, situations, events, parties, restaurants, culture, people, etc,. as I can.

Definitely a girly man in difficulty because exploration will be right outside my door.





Keep posted on how I am at fulfilling each one of these goals and I have lots of small detailed goals to achieve each one of these large ones.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Very ambitious but I really hope you can accomplish all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes. I've got to keep my mind off of home and all of the wonderful people I'll be missing (wink), so these shall fill in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete