Visitors


View My Stats

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Korean food at H-mart

I promised a few days ago pictures of the Korean food that I ate with Jee at H-Mart and have finally got them from my phone to the computer.  That's one excuse but mainly my rationalization is that I want to blog something once a day and gives me something to blog about.

This is the ddokbokki (red stuff) and twigim (lighter colored fried stuff) we got.  Both of these foods, as you see in the video below, are common street foods in Korea.  Many people eat street food as a snack or while drinking because they serve soju in the same street tents.
How did I like it?
This was probably the worst ddokbokki I've ever tasted.  It was cold and not that spicy and to top it off it was $9.  Jee said it goes for around $3 or less in Korea.  Ajumma (older Korean lady) I did not feel the love in this dish!  I don't wanna brag but I make ddokbokki from scratch and it tastes much better than this.
It was actually the first time I've tried twigim (rice rolled in seaweed battered and fried) but it was actually really good.
I also order sundae (blood sausage not pictured) and that was probably the best I've had so far in the states.  It was fresh and piping hot!!  Yum!
I give this food stall place a 6 outta 10 for the price and shoddy ddokbokki.

Check this video out on pochang macha (Korean street tents that sell this food):




Can't wait to try the real deal in Korea!

PS-
I know this has nothing to do with Korea but I find it funny.  I went with the parents and brother to a restaurant called Hollywood in Auburn and this is what my dad ordered.





























Yes, I think it was 10"x12" of chicken fried and covered with cheese.  Dad says it will last him for the week.  Wonder if anyone has eaten that in one sitting?

3 comments:

  1. I love the contrast between the Korean food and the American food! Looking at that piece of chicken makes me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah looking at the chicken reminds me of that blog you showed me of all of that gross food. Maybe I should submit the pic to that blog. What was it called again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called "this is why you're fat."

    ReplyDelete