Visitors


View My Stats

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Training for Korea

In an effort to get my blogging to be more balanced, I'll talk about my training for the marathon in Korea.  Last week I completed 53 miles which includes an 18 mile bike ride.  It seems like I'm well on my way towards acheiving my goal of under 3 hours and 10 minutes, but yesterday while running I cut my ankle on what looks to be dried blood on my shoe.  I didn't know that dried blood could make a shoe sharp but it sure can.  Staying healthy will be my main priority because I can't let this boo boo to snow ball into an injury that could put me out for a while.  I'll have to buy new shoes this weekend because I'll never find a size 13 in Korea and the shoes that I have currently are worn (way more than the 400+ miles suggested usage).

The runs and biking could not be better, however.   Although the country has a lot less to keep me visually and kinestetically occupied, I have the opportunity to unwind.  In Boston I was too wound up and stressed from everything that is happening around me.  There are so many people driving, walking and so many buildings compared to here.  The 22 mile bike ride I went on today was so relaxing mentally.  Seeing the corn fields dotting the hills and the lone houses in the middle of no where give my brain enough time to process my surroundings.  The clean air also aids in my ability to comprehend my thoughts and to focus on my training.  The hills here are everwhere and are challenging especially on a bike, but I seem to always have a clear enough mind to focus on pushing myself up them.  I couldn't be any happier that I'll have the chance to transition my training from the countryside in the US to Korea.

I still can't fathom what it will be like to run in Korea.  Running in Japan was such a treat visually that I wonder if I will feel the same way.  All I know is that I'll use my training to my advantage to explore the many finer outdoor details Korea has to offer.



Am I there yet?

1 comment: