Visitors


View My Stats

Monday, July 19, 2010

12 Days to Korea: Samcheok and Miro

Today I spent a bit of time getting to know Samcheok and Miro.  From my research I have found that Miro is actually half the size of Groton, population wise!  The good thing is that it looks like I won't be living in Miro because there are no apartment buildings there and it's only 2 or so miles from Samcheok.  I can't imagine a place like this in America where a town half the size of Groton is literally 2 miles to a city about the size of Syracuse and about 4-5 miles from another city thats even bigger.  Koreans sure do clump together into cities.  It has to be because of the mountains.

Here is the school that I'll be working at...
Sure looks really nice for a really rural school!

Samcheok, which probably will be the place I'll be living, looks really nice.  I've never lived near a beach before...


A few searches on Naver.com and I found there are plenty of restaurants and stuff to do in Samcheok and Donghae to the north.  It looks like Donghae is home to one of the most highly regarded beaches in Korea!  There are even express buses that leave to Seoul many times a day, so I can escape the relaxing beach side to go to the hustle and bustle of Seoul.  It takes a little more than 3 hours but it only will cost around 15,000 won ($12).  Korea could definitely compete with the sketchy chinese buses from Boston to NYC any day.  I could even take a ferry to Russia or Japan if my heart so desires.

Here's a map of Miro in comparison to Samcheok and Donghae.

Well now I know where I'll be in September but I'll just have to wait to find out where orientation will take place in August.  A plane ticket would be nice as well.

1 comment:

  1. The town looks amazing! Glad you got a good placement.

    ReplyDelete