Visitors


View My Stats

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Korean Health Care

I'll be heading to the dentist tomorrow because I've been incessantly grind my teeth at night for a while now.   Though I do have health insurance through my parents, I've really wondered how I'll fare when I'm in Korea.

Pictured above Korean plastic surgeon (don't think that's covered)

As you might know Korea has universal health insurance where 100% of the population is covered with almost the exact benefit package.  Americans, on the other hand, have had a declining rate of health insurance from 86 to 82% (insurance widely ranges from provider to provider).  I've been reading up on this phenomenon through this report.

Heres a brief synopsis of said report:

Enacted in 1976, universal health insurance in Korea only took 13 years for them to fully adjust the society from 10% of the population being insured to 100%.  How the Koreans did this was by setting up socities that control the collection, distribution and accumulation of insurance monies.  By starting with the largest companies and working their way to the smallest companies Korea was able to fully transform their society to follow this new law of universal coverage.  Employees and employers share the cost ranging from 3-8% of monthly wages and levels of contributions are based on income (the average share an employee pays is 1.8%). 

Benefits that all Koreans have (foreigners too):

They have the same benefit package independent of the amount contributed, meaning joe kim who is a farmer and contributes $20 a month has the same benefits as money kim who contributes $300 a month.
Unlimited hopsital visits
Access to any facility
Dependents automatically covered

Notable things that aren't covered are hospital meals as they are considered the families responsibilities.

America could learn a thing or two from Korea in regards to universal health insurance.  There are some kinks in the Korean system but it puts the American system to shame.

Maybe I'll have to get teeth removed in Korea and I'll get to experience their health care system first hand.

Let's hope the dentist doesn't pull out these suckers tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment