Visitors


View My Stats

Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Ddokbokki (떡볶이) Recipe

As I said before, I thought I cooked better than the ddokbokki at H-Mart.  Well tonight I went to a friend's house to do a little jamming and we usually cook weird awesome food so I contributed some of my ddokbokki to the meal.  We started with the ddokbokki, bread and avocado before we had spaghetti with pesto.  Delicious.  No one in my friend's family had tried Korean food and they seem to enjoy spicy so I thought this was a good idea.  It was about a 100 degrees today so it wasn't the best choice because the ddokbokki made me sweat a little more but them seemed to enjoy it.

Anyway here it is in its poor photo goodness.


If anyone is adventurous and wants to try my recipe:

1 Bag of Rice cakes (ddok)
2 cups of water

half an onion diced (usually use green onions but this is all I had)
3 cloves of garlic smashed
a few fish cakes (didn't have any this time to put in)


Sauce:
3 tablespoons of red pepper paste (gochujang)
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon of ketchup
1 teaspoon of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of sesame oil


Directions:
Put some olive oil or sesame oil in a medium pan on medium heat.  While the pan heats up combine and mix all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.  If you can't handle too spicy then lower the amount of red pepper paste and add some more of the honey and ketchup.  Put the sauce to the side.  Throw on the garlic and onions and let them get golden brown.  Throw in the bag of rice cakes and two cups of water, let sit for 3-5 minutes or until the rice cakes start to get slightly squishy.  Strain the water from the rice cake, onions and garlic.  Put the pan back on the burner with the rice cakes/onions/garlic and add the sauce mixture.  Add a little water to made it somewhat soupy.  Let the sauce cook for 1 minute and serve.

Serves about 6-8 people.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Btw, it's "cloves" of garlic, not "gloves." C'mon English teacher!!

    ReplyDelete