Visitors


View My Stats

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Korean media vs Hollywood


To keep myself entertained while at the same time trying to listen to as much Korean as possible I've been watching Korean dramas and movies on the net.  For those who aren't aware there is an enormous difference between Hollywood and Korean media.  Though both are quite predictable they are predictable in different ways.  Hollywood seems to fantasize about happy endings and continuously repeats it in many of the movies.  I'm not saying all American movies have a happy ending but the majority of films and TV shows follow the happy ending scheme.  Happiness followed by conflict followed by climax followed by happy ending.  The total opposite is true with Korean dramas and movies where there rarely is a happy ending.  The Korean writers and directors pull at your heart strings with multiple stories that coalesce into a complex main story that usually ends in the worst possible manner.  Think of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet on steroids in Korean.  Don't get me wrong not all of Korean movies and dramas are grotesquely pessimistic some are slightly pessimistic, light hearted and humorous or any combination thereof.  

It's also interesting to see the different ways the Korean media attempts to display the ideal Korean image.  A common trend I've noticed of the movies/dramas are about girls trying to get married off into a rich family and getting their heart broken along the way usually by their family or the intended person's family.  One could surmise appearance, money, food and family values are very important to the Korean culture from their media.  Korean story lines would be hard to pull off in America because our culture is so vastly different although I'm sure people would find it somewhat entertaining to see something different from Hollywood.



2 comments:

  1. What dramas have you been watching? You should watch "The Glass Shoe." It's like the longest drama I've ever seen but also so good! It's a bit old, but trust me, it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching this one called "Personal Preference" which brings up homosexuality in a kinda funny way. It's actually the first time I've heard gay used in Korean before, so it must be a very progressive show. I remember you telling me about the Glass Shoe so I'll have to check out sometime.

    ReplyDelete