Visitors


View My Stats

Saturday, July 24, 2010

A week away until Korea: School's website

When the clock strikes twelve tonight it will be a week away until I board a plane to Korea.  My mind still has not fully comprehended that I will be leaving so soon.  My life seems so normal right now.  Today, I went kayaking with my family, aunt and uncle's friend and family and a good friend of mine.  It was intended to be a surprise birthday celebration for my father's 50th birthday, but he quickly figured out the surprise.  Though the surprise was easily exposed, we had a great time on our 2 hour kayak down the river.    My friend Jake and I rode down the river in every direction whacking into every imaginable protrusion in the river.  We didn't flip our kayak, but my aunt and uncle did right before the finish of the ride.  It was great fun goofing around but it was also fun riding slowly and just contemplating our lives that are starting to form right in front of us.  People have been asking me about my trip and the details involved, but I still don't feel like I fully comprehend that I will be leaving.  Maybe when I get to the airport I'll start to realize that my life is taking a leap in a different direction.  

On a more Korea related topic, I found the website of the school that I will be working at.  Though I can only get a gist of what is said on the site, it is cool to see the classrooms, teachers, and kids that I will be teaching.  Poking around a little bit I found the pictures of the teachers and administrators of the school which is nice because now I can put some faces to my shaky "what will it be like" scenarios that play through my head.  Also, to get a good idea of how many students are in the school look here.  Now I know that 학생 means student and if you see 학생수 you get an idea of how many kids are in each grade.  Looks like there are roughly 10 kids per grade!  Now I thought I went to a small school where there were about 50 kids to a grade.  For US standards 50 kids to a grade is small.  People laugh when I tell them I graduated with 50 people.  But 10!  The classrooms are decked out with a projector, a huge screen tv and other great resources.  I'm starting to get a taste of how serious Koreans are of their children's education.

No comments:

Post a Comment