Visitors


View My Stats

Saturday, July 17, 2010

14 Days to Korea: Take Risks

Moving to a new country is a intense complex situation.  The joy, happiness, fear of the unknown, knowing that I will feel homesickness and miss my dear friends and family get all jumbled up into the situation.  On one hand, I have been getting really excited to experience the quirks and small details of Korea.  "What will it be like to...."  commonly runs amuck in my mind when I perform my daily activities.  Acquiring necessities at the store for my trip again brings me into that curious state of mind.  The sheer mystery of where I'll live or what I'll be doing in my free time keeps me on the edge of my seat.  The TaLK program couldn't put any more suspense into this then they already have.  Maybe next week I'll know my placement and the week after I'll have my plane ticket.

On the other hand, I've had to make some difficult decisions.  I was in a great relationship for two and a half years with a girl that I feel I could have potentially married.  We lived together for a long time and really got to know each other in and out, but recently decided to part. It was an extremely difficult decision but we both thought it was only best that we established ourselves before we really committed to anything serious.  My reason for adding this in the blog is that I learned a lot of good things from this relationship.  Mainly for you to earn anything (in this case knowledge, memories, experiences) you must be vulnerable (risk getting your heart broken).  It's similar to investing in that the more risk you take (more vulnerable and more potential heart break) the more reward.  I feel I took a large risk moving in with this girl, but I earned valuable experiences and memories.  Moving to Korea too is a big risk, but I feel that the rewards will be far worth it.

What I'm trying to say is to take risks.  Be vulnerable.  You'll always be able to learn from it and potentially be rewarded handsomely from it as well.  I would not trade my experiences that were risky for anything else in the world.  They have been priceless.

From here I'll start with a clean slate.

*Update on my Korea Preparation*
Bought large suitcase from Marshalls

Have stuffed the following in this luggage so far:

  • Mini guitar amp
  • 5 summer exercise outfits
  • Dress shoes
  • Suit
  • 5 pairs of dress socks
  • 2 pairs of nice slacks
  • Pair of jeans
  • First aid kit
  • 3 polos
  • (will put in 5 t-shirts)
  • (will put in running shoes)
  • (will put in 5 pairs of shorts)
  • 10 undies
  • 10 socks
  • Blazer
  • (might take a large towel)
I have another smaller suitcase that is full to the brim with winter clothes and gifts for my co-workers.  Now I just need to get an adapter and toiletries and I'm set.

No comments:

Post a Comment